Only moments ago I was sliding on a piece of cardboard down the grassy hill near my house, fishing for crawdads in the creek, playing in the street until the sun went down…
Time flies, faster with every passing year. I find myself wishing for this day to end or saying I can’t wait for the weekend, but this year, my wish is different. I wish for time to slow down…way down. This year, I’m going to be more present, in every moment… even in the 4th mind-numbingly boring meeting of the day moments. Friends, there are literally times when I am talking to someone and I hear absolutely nothing…nothing. It’s almost impressive, but mostly sad.
While it’s easy to say “I’m going to be more present” I understand this must be an intentional effort. Here are some things I plan to do:
- Start each morning in prayer: “Lord, please guide my head and heart and help me be more present”
- set a realistic schedule for my day (even scheduling in time for breaks!)
- only use social media once a day (do this by deleting the apps off my phone!)
- avoid the “what if” or “coulda shoulda woulda” thinking
- engage my senses more
- cuddle my dog for at least 20 uninterrupted minutes a day
- have a regular sleep and exercise schedule
- smile more, even to myself
And the most important of all:
Have peace that God is in control and I am exactly where I am supposed to be.
While 26 is still the best year yet, 28 wasn’t so bad (less the last 5 days of it). I enjoyed vacations in Bend, OR., Kauai, HI., Tahoe, Yosemite, Disneyland, Cambria, remolded my bathrooms, got a promotion, bought myself a brand new Subaru Forester (name pending, I’m thinking about Sheila), helped big-hearted folks create Bay Area Animal Rescue Crew and made a dent in finishing my master’s project.
So here’s to 29. May you blow my expectations out of the water.